School Road BakeryNowadays this is called Hui's Building, containing the fish & chip shop and an estate agent.
The second picture, from Paul Peachey's postcard collection, was taken at the bottom of Bunkers Hill where the water runs under a little bridge; the baker's lad used to work for T F Hicks in early 1900s; he was Algy Rice's father; you can just see Bunkers Hill Farm in the background.
This is what old villagers have told us...
George Russell: Hicks, Faiers and Clarke followed one another into the same premises opposite the Railway Tavern in School Road. (See photo in Newsletter, March 1996). They all used horses and carts to do their rounds.
Ella Kinsey: Hicks preceded Rand and Clarke here; Clark was a baker first, but then became a butcher
1. Baker's Shop, 1908 .. Full size
May Fox: Bakers (Hicks) made their own bread
Dolly Clark (1928 school photo) lived where her father was a butcher, where the fish shop is now.
Dot & John Redit: Rand's (baker) roundsman 'Cheeseman' Manning came round with a barrow: Rand Blackwell (of Thurston), had the fish shop.
George Smith had a straw hat and apron and pony and trap, opposite the Tavern, they can't remember what he did. [see Stan King's comment below]
Fred and Cicely Buckle: Fish shop and baker's shop (Rands) 2 butchers (Clark,...)
Stan King: Baker's shop (Rand's) where the fish and chip shop now is.
Mr Smith, lived upstairs in building at the back of the baker's, was a carrier, pony and trap; quite an effective old boy, quite a character...
Charles Nunn: Bakery at the fish shop, Rands, moved to Thurston; Mrs Rand lives in Elmswell, daughter lives next to C in Miller Close
Spencer Farrow the roundsman, took bread round the villages in a van.
George Russell: Frank Clarke baked bread at the bake office at the Railway Tavern; he was also the landlord, later on when Fred Russell was landlord, Henry Barnes rented the bake office from him and was the last baker to use it.