Norman Sinclair's Notes, page 16 - end
John Fiske, Lt.Colonel in Parliament Army, of Clopton Hall (he had relations in the village at this time) was a trustee of the almshouses.
Sitting in Bury, magistrates of Suffolk fixed farm labourers' wages at 5 old shillings a week in winter and 6 shillings in the summer.
John Marsh, Senior, paid £1.14.0 (old money) as his "Ship Money" assessment (read up the reign of Charles I). The Marsh family had been yeomen farmers in the parish since the 13th century. William Marsh (1735-1802) was the last male heir. His tombstone is at the east side of the churchyard.
Elmswell was affected by the Enclosure of Commons Act, and lost four-fifths of its common green. All that was left was the southern tip bordering Hawk End Lane and School Road, and each side of Ashfield Road as far as Oak Lane.
70 deaths from small pox recorded.
1818 Wesleyan Chapel built
1819 Church Hall built
Until 1864 a pleasure fair was held annually on November 1st in Lion Meadow (behind Catton's)
School and School House built. The present School was built in 1891, to hold 175 children.
The late 19th and early 20th Century saw the growth of small industry in Elmswell, encouraged perhaps by the opening of the railway line from Ipswich to Bury in 1846. (The Eastern Union Railway) First Station Master of Elmswell was William Ward and the last was Mr.F.Thompson of Station House. (The station closed in 1967-8; the booking office, waiting rooms, lavatory, were closed. Only the signal men remained.)
|Bakers, Millers||established 1898|
|Bacon Factory||established 1911|
|Hawes, Printers||established 1909|
|Andersons, Engineers||established 1963|
|Thurlow Nunns||This was a foundry in 1847. Amalgamated with Thurlows of Sowmarket in 1970.|
|Catton's Garage||Converted from the Lion Public House in 1964.|
Elmswell obtained its own steam fire engine.
An outbreak of foot and mouth disease in the village.
Elmswell Memorial Hall, built by voluntary labour, was opened.
|Borley, Hurst, Rice||first recorded in 1283|
|Rose, Baker||.. in 1327|
|Steggles, Buckle||.. in 1524|
|Cross||.. in 1638|
|Ling||.. in 1639|
|Mulley||.. in 1670|
|Nunn||.. in 1671|
|Jacob||.. in 1663|
|Bloomfield||.. in 1763|
|Elliston||.. in 1773|