Durrant’s Saddlery


The house on the corner of Grove Lane, now Yew Tree House, was built by Robert Durrant in 1870 – it has his initials high up on the west gable end. The family occupied the house for 99 years until 1969, when it was sold to a Mr Chenery. Now occupied by Mike Mulley and Beverley Winters, who took it over in about 1982.

Robert and Harriet Durrant had three daughters: Harriet, a schoolteacher for many years at the Council School, Janet (dressmaker) and Olive (milliner).