White House FarmBuilding Status: Listed Building
At 150-200 acres, this farm was quite large by the standards of the 1940s and the 1950s. In the 1930s the Bacon Factory had established a model pig breeding unit here, presumably run as a co-operative venture in the 1930s with Morris Chambers the farmer, who had three farm workers working both this and the arable crop fields. In about 2005, the redundant pig farm buildings were replaced by modern housing (“White House Barns”).
In 1948, Thomas Hicks was farming here and, by 1951, Wilfred Hicks had taken over, followed by John Hicks in the 1960s. He continued farming here through the 1960s and 1970s. In the early ’80s about half of the farmland was purchased by Herbert Godbold (Street Farm), whilst Dennis Dyball (Willow Farm) purchased the rest.