... between the list of occupiers on the Tithe Apportionment and those in the 1841 Census.
- There are 97 occupiers on the tithe side, and from the census I have picked out the Heads of Household who might well have been eligible to be on such a list, 179 of them.
- There are 72 matches, including several dodgy ones - for example, I am not sure about the equality of John Elsey and John Eslea - Elsey is just an aglab, but Eslea is looking after a tract of Lord Thurlow's property!
- So at least 25 people mentioned as occupiers in the Tithe Map were not picked up by the census - why was this?
- Notably several big shots: John Stedman at Elmswell Hall (Hannah Kitchen [ind.] is given instead), Henry Fisher at Crossways (William Hunt is given as the farmer there), Henry Hayman at Whitehouse Farm, Isaac Jackson at Oliver House,
and perhaps also Mary Cook at Cooks Farm, unless she is "Sarah Cooke" in the census.
- John Beeton is in the census as a farmer, and may be living in the cottage 398 with "Ben Laughley and others". He is in White's both as farmer and carrier.
- Nunn Welham lives about where the James Welham-occupied property is, so that match is probably OK; likewise Peter/William Spencer