Kelly’s 1908 and 1916 Directories

Text common to both is in black, changes are shown as blue for the 1908, red for the 1916 version. Lists of private residents and commercial enterprises follow the descriptive text.

ELMSWELL is a parish and village, with a station on the Bury and Ipswich section of the Great Eastern railway, 86 miles north-east from London, 8½ east from Bury St. Edmunds, 5½ north-west from Stowmarket and 18 north-west from Ipswich, in the North-Western division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Blackbourn, Stow union, county court district of Stowmarket, rural deanery of Thedwastre, archdeaconry of Sudbury and diocese of Ely. Elmswell is a place of some antiquity, but its importance in the mediaeval period was due to its close connection with the great Benedictine Abbey of Bury St. Edmunds, the abbot of which was lord of the manor, and in 1433 entertained the young King Henry VI. here. A portion of the “Lord’s Chariot way” from Bury still remains in the parish as a disused road.

The church of St. John the Divine, erected by the monks of Bury and situated on an eminence, is an edifice of local flint with stone dressings,in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, vestry, nave, aisles, porch and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells, two of which, however, are cracked: the base and angles of the tower , which was restored in 1913, and the porch exhibit fine flint work in various devices: in the church is a monument to Sir Robert Gardiner, a benefactor to the parish: the chancel was almost entirely rebuilt in 1864: the north aisle was built in 1867, and a short time previous to this the nave was repaired and fitted with an open timber roof and oak benches: the octagonal font is of the Decorated period: the pulpit and carved litany desk, both of oak, were presented by W.Luke esq.: the wrought iron, screen, with gates separating the chancel from the nave, was erected in 1864 by the then rector as a memorial to his parents, to whom there is also a mural brass: the nave was restored in 1911; the walls were decorated in colour in 1884 and several memorial windows have been erected: the church affords about 300 sittings. In the churchyard are the remains of an ancient cross. The register dates from the year 1553. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £310 £348, with 43 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of [blank] and is at present (1908) vacant W. A. Macfarlane Grieve esq. J.P. and held since 1908 by the Rev. John Reginald George B.A. of University College, Durham and Keble College, Oxford. .

Here is a Wesleyan chapel. Elmswell Tabernacle, on the Norwich road, is an iron building erected in 1887, at a cost of about £200, and seating 300 persons. A cemetery of 1¼ acres was formed in 1901 at a cost of £300; it is under the control of the Parish Council. A bacon factory was opened here in 1911 by the St. Edmundsbury Co-operative Bacon Factory Limited. Here also are engineering works, timber yards and sawing and roller mills.

Sir Robert Gardiner, who was lord of the manor in the time of James I, bequeathed charities of large amount for the benefit of the necessitous and deserving poor of the parish, the maintenance of six almswomen and the repairs of the church; these charities are administered by local trustees under a scheme of the Charity Commissioners. Elmswell Grange is occupied by William Durrant esq. W. A. Macfarlane Grieve esq. of Impington, Cambs. is lord of the manor. The chief landowners are the trustees of the late William James Owen Holmes esq. of Strumpshaw Hall, near Norwich, Sir James W. Malcolm, bart. J.P. of Tostock Place, Mrs. Kinsey, William Durrant esq. J. C. Leatherdale esq. J.P. and Walter Williams esq. The soil of the parish is composed partly of clay and partly loam; subsoil, gravel, clay and brick earth. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 2,089 acres; rateable value £4,076 £4,232; the population in 1901 was 858 1911 was 853.

Sexton, John Fuller.

Post. M: O. & T. O., S. B. & A & I. Office.—Daniel Walter Collen, sub-postmaster. Letters through Bury St. Edmunds are delivered at 6.20 a.m. & 12.35 p.m. & dispatched at 11.50 a.m. & 6.40 & 8.30 p.m.; on Sundays, delivery at 6.20 a.m. & dispatch only at 6.40 p.m.

Wall Letter Box, New Hall, cleared at 10.30 a.m. week days only& 8 a.m. Sundays.


Meetings are held at the Council school on the second Saturday in each month.
Chairman, Benjamin Mason, Woolpit, Bury St.Edmunds
Clerk, Daniel Walter Collen, Elmswell

Police Station, Charles Lilliston, constable


Public Elementary, founded in 1864 by Admiral Sir George Seymour, & held in trust for the education of the children of the poor in the principles of the Church of England; the school will hold 120 children; average attendance, 45 ; Miss Edith Bugge Mrs M. Ainley, mistress

Public Elementary Council, erected in 1891, at a cost of £800, for 175 children; average attendance, 120; Thomas Owen Jones, master; Mrs. E. O. Jones, mistress John J. Wilson, master; Mrs. B. A. F. Wilson, mistress

Railway Station.—Thos. Herbert Barnard Henry Flowers, station master


1908   1916  
AldertonDanielSt. John's house
AndreasonJuliusThe Limes
Ivy houseRobertBakerBakerRobertIvy house
White Thorn hoThos.Herbt.Barnard
White Thorn houseMrs.Barrell
Norwood houseGeorgeBobyBobyGeorgeNorwood house
Manor houseHugh O. B.Clough
The ChestnutsArthur EdwardCrisp
Holly cottageHenryDurrant
Elmswell GrangeWilliamDurrantDurrantWilliamElmswell grange
St. LucyMissGarwoodGeorgeRev.Jn.Reginald B.A. (rector)
Woodstock houseGeorgeGodboldGodboldGeorgeWoodstock house
St. John's houseWilliam N.GreenHansenHjalmarHotly house
Church MtRev. James M.A.HipwellHarrisonMarkElmswell hall
.CharlesHoodHassallJames WhiteThorn house
Arundel VillaMrs.HughesHughesMrs.Arundel villa
SunnysideOliver C.JewersJewersOliver C.Sunnyside
StationHenry J.P.Jolly
Elmswell HallJohn Coleby J.P.LeatherdaleLeatherdaleJohn Coleby J.P.The Chestnuts
LowStanley R.Eagle house
ButcherArthur CecilMillerMackayMiss
MulleyJamesNelson villa
The CottageJohn HenryNewsonNewsonJohn HenryThe Cottage
ButtenhaughGeorge.Norman-CrosseNunnFrank J
ParseyArthur Benjamin
Laburnum HouseHarry CorneliusPearlPearlHarry CorneliusFern cottage
The LaurelsFrederickPecheyPecheyFrederickThe Laurels
Fern CottageMrs.PollardRollJosephButtenhaugh
.Robert StephenPye
ButtenhaughMrs. F.Sherlock
.MrsStevensWalpoleReginaldHoughton house
.MrsWarrenWarrenMrs.Ivanhoe cottages
.Mrs. FredWarrenWarrenMrs. Fred
WattsMissThe Gables
WilsonJohn Jamea
.Alfred WWinter
New HallMrs.WolfeWolfeMrs.New hall (letters through Woolpit)
.MrsYoungWrightHenry George(letters through Woolpit)


Aldridge, Herbert J. tailor
Atkins, Robert shoe makerAtkins, Robert shoe maker
Baker, & Son millers (oil) & merchtsBaker & Son, millers (oil)
Barclay & Company Limited, bankers (sub-branch to Stowmarket), open fri. 10.13 to 12.13
Bennett, William farmer EastwoodBennett, William farmer Eastwood
Borley, Frederick & Louis farmers & landownersBorley, Frederick William farmer & landowner
Borley, John William builderBorley, John William builder, decorator & plumber
Borley, Louis wood hurdle maker
Bridge, Arthur farmer Bennett's
Bridges, Wm1. shoe maker & shopkprBridges, William shopkeeper
Bussey, G. ,& Co. Limited cricket bat manufacturersBussey, George G. & Co. Limited cricket bat manufacturers
Capital & Counties Bank Limited, (sub-branch to Stowmarket), open fri. 10.15 to 12.13
Cemetery, (Daniel Walter Collen clerk to the Burial Authority)
Clarke, Frank Railway tavern
Collard, William Jas. beer retailer
Collen, Daniel Walter corn & flour merchant & stationer Post officeCollen, Daniel Walter corn & flour merchant & stationer, clerk to the Thedwastre Sub-Committee of West Suffolk Local Pension Committee Post office
Compton, Harold Arthur sanitary inspector to Thedwastre Rural District Council West hill
Cooper, Walter butcher
Coy, John farmerCoy, John farmer
Crick, Louisa (Mrs.) laundry.Coy, John Thomas farmer White ho
Diaper, William farm bailiff to Mr. John C. Leatherdale The Hall
Durrant, Robert chemical manure merchant, saddler & harness ma.&cDurrant, Robert saddler & harness maker &c. Yew Tree house
Durrant, William farmer & landowner Elmswell Grange & Whitehouse farmDurrant, William farmer & landowner Elmswell grange
Elliston, William pork butcher
Ennals, Arthur Daniel highway surveyor to the Thedwastre Rural District Council Linden croftEnnals, Arthur Daniel highway surveyor to the Thedwastre Rura1 District Council. Linden croft
Everett, Edward (Mrs.) carrierEverett, Jane (Miss) carrier
George, William horse slaughterer & farmerGeorge, William horse slaughterer & farmer Willow farm
Gibson, George farmer. Willow wood
Green, Walpole & Co. wholesale corn & seed merchants & maltsters; & at 88 New Corn Exchange Mark La. London E CGreen, William N. corn merchant
Groom., John farmerHarrison, Mark farmer Elmswell hall:
Harris, Kichard beer retailerHassall, James relieving & vaccination officer & registrar of births, deaths & marriages for Walsham-le-Willows district, Stow union
Hawes, Walter Wakelin Lion P.HHawes, Walter Wakelin printer
Hicks, Thomas Frederick baker & confrHicks, Thomas Frederick baker & confectioner; families waited upon daily
Hitchcock, Percy Walter motor & general engineer Station
Hitchcock, Ralph miller. Station; & at Rattlesden
Hood, John boot makerHood, John boot maker
Hurst, Robert farm bailiff to Mark Harrison esq. The Hall
Jacob, William Freeman cycle agent
Jakens, Arthur grocer
Jewers, Oliver C. corn merchantJewers, Oliver C. corn seed, oil cake & manure merchant
Johnson, Herbert grocer & draperKeen, Charles Fox hotel
Jolly, Henry J.P. miller (wind &steam) Station
Kinsey, Henry C. farmer & income tax collector Hill farmKinsay, William income tax collector
Last, Horace Fox family & com. hotel
Laver, John Henry Railway tavrn.&bkr
Leatherdale, John Coleby farmer Elmswell HallLeatherdale, John Coleby J.P. farmer The Chestnuts
Lomax, George William grocerLomax, George William grocer
Manning, Frederick beer retailer & seedsman
Middleditch, Wm. H. insurance agentMorley, Wm.E. farmer. Cross Way (letters
Moy, Thomas Limited coal merchantsMoy, Thomas Limited coal merchants
Mulley, Brothers buildersMulley Brothers, builders, contractors & undertakers
Mulley, Arthur builder, contractor, carpenter, plumber, painter, decorator & undertakerMulley, Arthur builder
Newson, John Hy. coal & manure merNewson, John Henry coal & salt merchant & insurance agent. Station
Norman-Crosse, George artist Buttenhaugh
Nunn, William cycle agentNunn, Frank J. (late N. Warren &Sons) engineer & agricultural implement manufacturer & agent; horse hoes & harrows a speciality; wagon & cart builder, ironmonger &c. Blackbourn iron works. T A "Warrens, Elm
Palmer, Wm. farm bailiff to Mr. PeddarPearce, Harold F. miller, corn & coal merchant. Station & at Great Ashfield
Pearl, Harry general dealerPeck, Alfred insurance agent
Phillips, Edward shopkeeper
Pye, Robert Stephen timber merchant, saw mills StationPye, Robert Stephen timber merchant, saw mills Elmswell station
Redit, Herbert blacksmithRedit, Herbert blacksmith
Rice, Frederick fire, life & general accident insurance agent, & agent for wines & spirits Myrtle cottageRice, Frederick agent to Messrs.Firmin & Co. Ipswich, for ropes,lacks, waterproof covers, stack cloths, tents &c. ; also agent for manures, cakes &c. ; all kinds of insurances effected.
Sillitto, George inland revenue officerRussell, Frederick Lion P.H
Warren, N. & Sons engineers, manufacturers of general agricultural implements; horse hoes a speciality ; wagon & cart builders, ironmongers &c., Blackbourn ironworks, & StowmarketSt. Edmundsbury Co-operative Bacon Factory Limited (The), (H. Hansen, manager & sec.), bacon, lard & sausage manufacturers T A "Bacon, Elmswell" - See advertisement page 91
Steed, Arthur Edward commercial traveller; proprietor of Steed's String Band & .representative for "Makbar" food for cattle. Church mount
Thompson, Norman excise & old age pensions officer
Watts, Caroline (Miss) private school for girlsWatts, Caroline (Miss) private school for girls
Williams, Walter farmer & landowner The Grove & Botany Bay farmsWilliams, Walter farmer & landowner The Grove & Botany Bay farms
Williams, William T. farmer Hill frm