Elmswell History Group
Search
Toggle navigation
Home
People
Current and Past Residents (Indexed by Surname)
Marriages in Elmswell Parish Church, 1813 to 1899
Occupations, Trades, etc
Picture Archive
School Register 1888-1912
Villagers’ Stories
Projects
World War I, 1914-18
World War II, 1939-45
Archive
Buildings
Elmswell Picture Archives
Documents
Directory Entries
Elmswell Media
Official Records
Work & Society
History Group
Programme for 2024
Join Us
Contact Us
Archive
Buildings
Farms, Farmers & Small Holders
Historical Buildings and Features
Old Buildings – Some still exist, others have been demolished
Thatched Cottages in 1920
Directory Entries
White’s 1844 Directory
Kelly’s Directory of 1846
White’s 1855 Directory
Harrods 1864
PO 1865
White’s 1874 Directory
Kelly’s 1908 and 1916 Directories
County Handbook of 1917
Kelly’s 1925 Directory
Kelly’s Directory, 1930?
Kelly’s 1933 Directory and some 1937 info
Telephone list, 1951
Documents
Documents from before 1850
Fiske Deeds
Roll of Honour
Manorial account, 1374
Old maps of the village
Sale of land in 1930
Sale of Sir G Smyth’s properties in 1848
Short history of Elmswell, from Norman Sinclair’s handwritten notes
Elmswell Media
Centenary Leaflet
Church Magazine – Nov 1939
Coronation Festivities 2-6 June 1953
Correspondence
Judy Woollams’ research into 19th century newspaper reports – births, marriages and deaths etc
Newspaper Articles
Mike Gurr’s notes and newspaper cuttings
Elmswell Picture Archives
Private Collections
Street Scenes – Old & Recent
Official Records
Baptisms June 1851 to May 1873
Burials from January 1813 to January 1889
Census
Enclosure Map, 1814
Marriages 1813 to 1899
Suffolk Parish Records Survey
Work & Society
Alphabetical Index of Elmswell Streets
A Walk Around Elmswell in 1911
A Short History of a Village Methodist Society
Elmswell Cemetery
Elmswell Football Club
Elmswell-Great Ashfield Airfield
Firms
Methodism In Elmswell, 1799-1999
Police
Public Houses in Elmswell
Rectors of Elmswell
Sophie Baker’s Diaries of 1934, 1937 and 1938
The Railway
The Fire Service
Vestry and Parish Church Meetings
Historical Buildings and Features
Albatross Garage
Almshouses(The)
Bacon Factory
Baker’s shop 1908
Balls (& Gibson) Garage
Bankhouse Terrace
Baptist Church
Barber’s shop
Blacksmithy, Ashfield Road
Botany Bay Farm
Bunker’s Hole Cottage
Bunkers Hill Farm
Bussey’s Cricket Bat Factory
Cedars (The)
Chapel Row
Church Cottage
Church Hall
Cobbler
Cottage (The)
Cross Ways
Crown Inn
Crown Mill
Dagwood Farm
Durrant’s Saddlery
Eastbury, Chestnuts
Eastwood Cottage
Eastwood Farm
Elmswell Hall
Farm Meadow Cottage
Fish Shop and Village Pound, Station Rd
Fox (The)
Goodfellow’s
Grange (The)
Grove Farm
Half-Acre, Grove Lane
Harnessmaker & Saddler
Hawk End Cottage
Hawk End Shops
Hill Farm
Home Mill (Baker’s Mill)
Homefield Cottage
Ivy House Farm
Kay’s, Barbers Shop
Kiln Farm
Linden Cottage
LindenCroft
Lion Inn/Garage (The)
Lufkin’s
Mace Shop
Mann’s Court, once Thedwastre RDC
Memorial Hall (The)
Methodist Church
Miller Transport, Rose Lane
Mitford House
Mr Green’s Hut
Mulberry Farm (Green Farm)
Nethy Cottage
New Hall Farm
Newson’s Coal Office
O C Jewers (station yard)
Oak Farm
Old Bank House (The)
Old Farm Cottages
Old Reading Room
Old Rectory (The)
Old School(The)
Olive Cottage
Oliver House, Eagle House
Orchard Cottage, New Road
Pightle Cottage
Post Office
Railway Tavern
Rannochs
Redit’s Smithy
Rose Cottage, New Road
Rose Cottage, School Road
Roseacre
Southlands, New Road
St John’s Church
Station Garage
Street Farm
Sunnyside
The Cottage
The Gables
The Limes
The Oak (beerhouse), Oakdene
The Willows, New Road
Tin lock-up, School Rd
Tudor Cottages
Victoria Terrace
Vine Cottage
Vine House
Virginia House
Walnut Tree Cottage
White House Farm
Willow Farm
Willow House, School Road
Willow Wood Farm
Winterthorn (Pippins)
Yew Tree Cottage